Saturday 5 October 2013

I want to remain sexy at 50 — Doyin Haastrup



Doyin Haastrup
Background
I grew up in Lagos and schooled there.  We are a family of five but initially, my parents were opposed to modelling. As time went on, they had no other choice than to give me their backing. They knew it was what I wanted to do. I started my modelling career in 2000. This is my 13th year.

 Education
After my secondary school in Lagos, I gained admission into the University of Lagos but I had to drop out because I was picked as one of the finalists for Nokia Face of Africa at about that time. I was actually the first person to represent Nigeria.
I had to stop schooling to go to South Africa.  I knew that if I was in school, I would be spending money on fees.  Not that my parents were not able to afford the school fees, but I just did not want to put that burden on them. I knew that if I travelled abroad, I would do better than if I remained in Nigeria. When I got to South Africa, I enrolled at the Burnham Business School, South Africa.
 Modelling
I have not done any modelling job since 2011 when I had my second son.  I just decided to spend time with my kids instead. I cannot model forever because modelling is not like that.  My husband and I decided to give back to the society by organising our own shows to promote young models. My agency in South Africa, Ice model management, is involved in the project.
 Relationship
I met my husband three years after Face of Africa competition. It was in Nigeria, at the South African embassy. I had gone to the embassy to process our work permit with a friend and it was difficult for us. We just met this gentleman and he asked us what we were there for. When we explained to him, he offered to help us and that was how we started. He is very understanding.  He is the one supporting me and trying to improve my career because he does not want the name, Doyin Haastrup, to disappear. He is not threatened by my job. He is romantic and bought me a diamond pendant that had my name inscribed on it.  I wear it once in a while. What I miss most while at work? I miss my kids.  At such times, my husband looks after them and I appreciate his support.
 Preferred style look
Normally, on the street, I will always look natural but when on stage, I am a different person. I prefer to wear a short dress because I don’t want to start acting like an old woman simply because I am mother of two kids. I want to look sexy till I am 40 or 50 years.
 Favourite fashion accessory
I love shoes. I spend more money on shoes because I have long legs and it is very difficult for me to get my shoe size.   I order my shoes from America or other parts of Europe. My greatest challenge in modelling is shoes. My shoe size is 42. I always attend shows with my shoes, most models do the same.
Oftentimes, most of the designers bring their shoes and want you to fit into them. They don’t want to know if they are your perfect sizes or not, you just have to manage it.  Some models walk with very funny steps because they are trying to struggle with the shoes.
 Embarrassing moment
I have never had an embarrassing moment.   The only thing that could have made me feel embarrassed would have been falling on stage but I have never fallen before.
 Turn offs
I am easily put off by people who treat models in a demeaning manner. People need to understand that models also deserve respect.   I will never say anything that will hurt you and I believe you should not also do anything that will hurt me.
People will say negative things, even if you are back stage, people talk to others anyhow.  Everybody knows me as a happy person at all times of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give us your comment here :